Sunday, March 30, 2014

Blog Round Seven: Jank Jam Session - Paper Abstract Thought Process

Pythagoras! My original plan was to try and link the perfect concordes to moral theory, but I think that whole operation is shaky, at best. That topic would involve quantifying values which would be subjective by nature. So what will I do now? That's a good question.

Pythagoras has a quote that I really like. It is the sixteenth aphorism from his chapter in the reader. "The tetractys is a certain number, which being composed of the four first numbers produces the most perfect number, 10. For 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 come to be 10. This number is the first tetractys and is called the source of ever-flowing nature, since according to them the entire kismos is organized according to harmonia, and harmonia is a system of three concords, the fourth, the fifth, and the octave, and the proportions of these three concords are found in the aforementioned four numbers."

Just... wow. For a musician, it is an amazing thing to hear that harmony is the origin of the universe, and it kind of makes sense in a romantic way. Everything in our bodies works together in a kind of harmony, and at our best, we interact with our environment harmoniously. I would like to make a paper topic out of this, but my concern is making it 3000 words (That's a lot of words! I barely even speak 3000 words out loud on a good day.) Here are my thoughts:

1. Explain Pythagoras' world view in relation tot he tetractys. I'll need to use secondary sources for this. Unfortunately, the reader doesn't give too much information about it besides aphorism 16.
    1.1- I think I'll gush about the importance and awesomeness of music somewhere around here. At some point, I'll need to talk about the beauty of harmony, why harmony is an inherent quality of goodness, and why music is awesome.

2. Analyze it. Is this a sound way (hah. music pun) to construct the world? How does this relate to abstract ideas and corporeal objects?

3. Do I agree with it? Why? Here's another section which will require a lot of sources. Fortunately, there's a lot about Pythagoras in our library. That makes me happy.

4. Who objects to this? If I can't find anybody in the books in the library, I'll look to European Philosophy. Those guys have a few ideas on how the world is made, and I'm sure they'll disagree with Pythagoras.

5. Who concurs with this? For example, I think Gottfried Leibniz would concur with the theory of harmony. His theory of Monads revolves completely around the theory of pre-established harmony within the monads.

6. Conclusion! Yeah!

So yeah! Pythagoras! Conference Paper! Go Team!

2 comments:

  1. Good start. You raise interesting questions, especially in 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a lot of new Pythagoras literature out there. I'm sure you will find some worthwhile interlocutors.

    ReplyDelete