Monday, February 3, 2014

And Now In Place of Your Regularly Scheduled Programming...

The title of the blog says that music is a part of this thing. So yeah. I'll try and make a musical post a week to have a break from all of the deep thoughts.

This week's piece is Aurora Awakes by John Mackey (Youtube Link Here).

I'm particularly fond of this piece because I played it with the Granbury High School Wind Ensemble my senior year. It was a great experience. This is one of the few pieces where I was able to really form a connection with the music, where I as an individual ceased to exist, and I was part of the music. Pay attention to the clarinet (I played the solo during high school) and flute solos at the beginning. The piece is a musical representation of the Goddess Aurora waking up, bringing light to the world. The early woodwind solos herald the coming of dawn in a subtle manner. The tension that is brought up in the loud section helps emphasize the resolution in the measure before the tempo picks up. When the song picks up in tempo and volume, think of a great sunrise over a beautiful landscape. Everything comes to life as the sun rises. To listen to this piece, plug in some good headphones and crank the volume up to 11. Lie down and let yourself go. Become one with the music.

I hope you enjoy the music. Even after playing this in high school, I still listen to it regularly. Next week, I'll go over Shepherd's Hey by Percy Grainger.

-Andrew

1 comment:

  1. very intriguing. There are a bunch of musical references in Parmenides for sure.

    ReplyDelete